2023 TROPICAL MELTDOWN RULES
All games will be played in accordance with NCAA hockey rules. Exception: Icing is automatic, and teams may change on an icing call. All teams must be ready to play 20 minutes prior to their scheduled time. USA Hockey Zero Tolerance policy will apply for all players, coaches & parents.
ROUND ROBIN GAMES
- Game length will be 2 / 20-minute halves, stop time.
- 2 min warm-up; No time-outs in round robin play
- Tied games go directly to 3-player shootout
- If team leads by 5 or more goals at any point in the game after the first half the clock will not stop in the second half. Clock will resume to stop time once that lead decreases to 2 goals.
- Minor Penalty 1:30 Major 4:00 Misconduct 6:00
- Four penalties in game = Game Misconduct
- Checking is permitted in the U19, U16, & 00 Divisions only.
- *There is NO checking allowed in the 2010-2016 divisions.
- Full cage required for ALL participants
- Any player must participate in a minimum of two Round Robin games in order to be eligible for the playoffs
- Please note that the maximum goal differential reported for a single game score will be 6.
- If no labels are present, players’ first name, last name, and jersey numbers must be written in for each game.
- Regulation Win = 3 points, Shootout Win = 2 points, Shootout Loss = 1 point, Regulation Loss = 0 points
PLAYOFF ADVANCEMENT TIEBREAKERS
- If two teams are tied with equal points to determine the winner will go as follows:
- Total number of points
- Head-to-Head (2 teams tied only; 3+ teams negates this tiebreaker)
- Number of total wins (regulation and overtime)
- Lowest Goals Against
- Goal Differential (Goals for minus goals against, max +/- 6 goals per game
- Least Penalty Minutes
- If still tie (COIN TOSS)
- Semi Finals & Championship Games will be one 30 minute game. Each team will be given one 1-minute timeout in playoff games.
- Overtime Semi-Final games will consist of one 3v3 overtime for the length of 5 minutes. If tied at the conclusion of the 3v3 overtime, teams will proceed to a 3-man shootout.
- Overtime for Championship Games will consist of one 3v3 overtime for the length of 10 minutes. If tied at the conclusion of the 3v3 overtime, teams will proceed to a 3-man shootout.